Gmail has some specific security settings associated with the use of their email system with other applications. Please follow these instructions to configure your Gmail account for use with The Grid 2. Note: Google have removed the less secure apps functionality on their email accounts, you will need to setup two step verification and an app password to continue using email in The Grid 2.
An app password is a unique password used to sign into one application (in this case The Grid 2). It will be different from your usual account password and can be revoked or changed at any time.
Enabling POP and enable less secure apps
- Log onto your Gmail account in your web browser (outside of The Grid 2), open the settings cog in the top right corner and select See all settings.
- On the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, under the POP download section, enable Pop for mail that arrives from now on
- On the Accounts and Import tab select Other Google Account settings
- Browse to the Security tab on the left hand side, scroll down to the Less secure app access section and ensure it is turned On.
Note: if it is Off, you can switch it on by pressing Turn on access (not recommended) and setting the slider to On.
Setting up 2-step verification
2-step verification requires a phone to setup. You will need to receive a code, either via an automated phone call or SMS message.
- Browse to the Security tab following the steps shown above.
- Select the 2-step verification option below the Signing into Google section.
3. Enter the phone number you wish to tie to the account and select either a Text Message or Phone Call to receive the verification code, then press Next.
4. Enter the key received to the phone into the field provided. You will then see the option to turn on 2-step verification.
Creating an app password
- Browse to the Security tab following the steps above.
- Below the 2-step verification option used previously, there will be a new option for App Passwords.
3. Select the App Passwords option and sign in with your email account and normal password.
4. On the app passwords page – click the Select App drop-down menu and select Other.
5. You will then be prompted to enter a custom name – we recommend “The Grid 2”. Once entered, press the Generate button.
Your unique The Grid 2 app password will then appear inside the box in the top right corner of the new window. This password will then need to be copied and pasted or written down somewhere for future reference.
You can then connect your email in The Grid 2 using the app password following the steps here: How do I setup my email with The Grid 2?
Last Revision: 26.10.2021