Abbreviation expansion is a useful tool to limit the amount of typing you need to do when writing. Abbreviation expansions will automatically suggest a word or phrase from a defined shortcut or acronym. For example, you could use the abbreviation “ily” for “I love you”.
Each abbreviation will need to be added to The Grid 2. Once added, typing “ily” will automatically suggest “I love you” in any prediction cell.
Adding an abbreviation expansion
To add an abbreviation expansion:
- Select your chosen user in Grid Explorer, browse to Edit (on the toolbar at the top) and select User Settings.
Note: if you are already in your user, you can go straight to Edit – User Settings.
- Select Dictionaries, followed by Abbreviation Expansion.
- Enter the abbreviation (e.g. ily) in the New Abbreviation box.
- Enter the expansion (e.g. I love you) in the Abbreviation expansion box.
- Select Add Abbreviation
Your abbreviation will now appear in the list. You can add more abbreviations if you wish (by following the last 3 steps again). Select OK when you have finished.
Using your abbreviations
To use your abbreviations, simply type them into any workspace in your user. Your expansion will be displayed in a prediction cell, and selecting this cell will expand your abbreviation. A few things to consider:
- You need to have at least one prediction cell on the grid to see abbreviation expansion.
- You must start a new word (e.g. my “I love you” expansion would not be displayed if I typed “happily”, even though the “ily” is present at the end of the word).
- If you have more than one prediction cell, predicted words will appear after the abbreviation expansion.
Last Revision: 26.10.2021